Wednesday, August 11, 2010

August 11, 2010 - Feast of St. Clare of Assisi

Today is the Feast of St. Clare of Assisi, one of my Guardian Angels and hard-working intercessors in heaven! She has such a listening ear and a willing heart to help that I practically grew up with her, so to speak. Since my elementary school years, I remember my visits to the Santa Clara Monastery with my mother who was so close to St. Clare. Mother had always something for the nuns and on some occasions, we brought dozens of eggs. I thought that eggs were the nuns' favorite food until my Mom explained that it was a traditional offering when a devotee to Santa Clara wants to request "good weather" for an up and coming family celebration. It really worked! I guess my mother's devotion to her rubbed on me and was made "perfect" by my visits to the picturesque medieval hill town of Assisi.

St. Clare was born in Assisi, Italy on July 16, 1194, died on August 11, 1253 and was canonized on September 26, 1255. She was the eldest daughter of a noble family who owned a castle in the town. Early in life, she was devoted to prayer. She was 18 when St. Francis preached the Lenten course in church. The words of St. Francis kindled a flame in her heart. She began to seek counsel from St. Francis who helped her in her chosen vocation. On the night of Palm Sunday, March 20, 1212, Clare with her aunt, Bianca and a friend went to the Porziuncula, the little chapel and headquarters of St. Francis. She laid aside her fine clothes. St. Francis, having cut her hair, clothed her with with a rough tunic and a thick veil. Pilgrims can still see today, the beautifully embroidered beige dress Clare wore to church that Palm Sunday as well as her wonderfully preserved locks of blond hair in a room in the Basilica of Santa Chiara in Assisi. The San Damiano crucifix which "spoke" to St. Francis is also in this room.

St. Francis brought Clare to the Benedictine nuns where her father tried several times to take her back. Part of her initiation was to go begging for food for forty days. She did the task without any remorse. Some 16 days after her own flight, Clare was joined by her younger sister, Agnes, whom she was instrumental in delivering from their infuriated relatives. It is said that relatives came to forcibly get Agnes but they could not lift her. Agnes became so heavy so that even several men could not move her an inch. Many attributed the miracle to Clare and her prayers. Clare and her group remained with the Benedictine nuns until they were established by St. Francis in a crude dwelling adjacent to the Chapel of San Damiano which he repaired. Thus was founded the first Community of Poor Clares as they came to be called. Clare had the consolation of not only seeing her other sister, Beatrix, her mother Ortolana, and her aunt Bianca follow Agnes into the Order but also of witnessing monasteries of Poor Clares all over Europe. St. Clare's Rule of Order followed the Franciscan character of absolute poverty - a complete renunciation of all property, even holding property in common. St. Clare was the living copy of the poverty, humility and mortification of St. Francis whose Rule of Chastity, Poverty and Obedience, she followed to the letter.

She was devoted to the Holy Eucharist such that she subsisted on the Sacred Host only for weeks and months. She is often depicted in art as carrying the monstrance with the Sacred Host because of an incident which happened in 1234 - The Miracle of the Eucharist in Assisi.

Frederick II of Germany had disagreements with the Pope. He recruited a band of Saracens (Muslims) to march against Assisi, a Catholic stronghold. The virgin nuns appealed to them so that they decided to attack San Damiano first. The invaders were ready to scale the walls when in terror the nuns informed St. Clare on her sickbed. With some help and in fervent prayer, St. Clare got the monstrance from their little chapel, proceeded to an open window facing the courtyard where the Saracens had already entered. She raised the monstrance with the Sacred Host. The Saracens froze in their tracks, turned back and fled. They never set foot in the town. Assisi was saved!

Do you know the origin of "Hot Cross Buns?" In 1228, Pope Gregory IX went to Assisi for the canonization of St. Francis. He visited St. Clare and her community. By noontime, the nuns laid out the only provision they had for lunch - pieces of stale bread. St. Clare asked the Pope to bless the bread who declined. The Pope asked her to do the honors. Out of humility, she said she was a sinner and could not possibly bless the bread in the presence of the Pope. So, she was "ordered" to give the blessing. With shut eyes, the assembly prayed. Afterwards, they gasped in amazement for a cross had formed on each piece of bread. Thus, we have Hot Cross Buns!

During my second visit to Assisi in 1997 with my friends Vangie Chaves and Gloria Reyes (may she rest in peace) something happened which, to me, was a miracle. The tour bus trip from Rome to Assisi was delayed by more than four hours due to a construction work on the freeway. We arrived early evening when the churches were about to close. Despite the unforeseen emergency, the tour guide insisted that our bus would still leave at 8 AM the next morning as scheduled. Protests from pilgrims went wild. I took up the issue with him until he agreed to stay at least till 9 o'clock in the morning. Adherence to time was a must!

Out of Assisi has blossomed the sanctity of two known saints, St. Francis and St. Clare. As such, two imposing basilicas in their honor receive the millions of pilgrims
who visit yearly. It became evident that our group would only be able to visit the Basilica of St Francis and his tomb in the crypt. We
would also miss the chance of seeing the incorrupt body of St. Clare and the cross which "spoke" to St. Francis in the Basilica of Santa Chiara. I did not like that! I was resolved to take Vangie and Gloria to the end of the hilltown where the basilica stood- happen what may! Gloria asked to be excused from my planned "adventure." Anita Tremolada and husband joined us.

Hence, very early the next morning, the "adventurers" left our hotel to walk uphill towards the resting place of St. Clare. My prayers for help were unceasing as we trekked the rocky main thoroughfare of Assisi. It dawned on me that at the pace we were going it would be impossible to accomplish our plan in time for the departure of the tour bus. To think that I had a heated argument with the tour guide! My heartbeat went wild like the Indian drums on a warpath! I called on all my intercessors in heaven especially St. Clare. Then I hoped for a car or any vehicle to pass by so that we could request for a ride. To show that we were appreciative of the ride anyone would give us, I held a crispy $10 bill in my hand. No sooner had I tucked the bill between my fingers when a small car made a turn on the road towards us. I immediately waved to the lady who obligingly took us to the basilica. My monetary offer was vehemently declined. We were very grateful!

The early morning hymns of the nuns which sounded like a choir of angels filled the empty, dimly lit basilica. I showed them the huge San Damiano Cross, the Palm Sunday dress of St. Clare, her crop of wavy blond hair and the other museum pieces. Then we walked towards the stairs leading down to the crypt where the incorrupt body of St. Clare has lain for more than 600 years. We peered down but it was pitch black. Completely overwhelmed with anxiety and unmindful of the singing which was still going on, I said in a loud voice, " Lights, please." We waited. I made my request again. No response but the hymns went on. After the third try, we had to give up because the return trip on foot would still require some time. Never have I valued Time as a prized commodity as then! We took double-steps hurriedly towards the main door while I prayed and brazed myself to the shame and utter defeat when I would face an angry, arrogant and "triumphant" tour guide.

We had just stepped out of the basilica when something made me turn my head to the right. What did I see? A lone taxi was there with a smiling driver leaning against it almost ready to open the door for us! An exceedingly wide grin graced my pleasantly-surprised, wide-eyed face as I ran to him. "Oh, you are God-send," I declared with unquestionable truth. This acclamation acquired a degree of certainty when, during the ride, the driver said that he had never gone to Santa Chiara at such time ever before! He added that he woke up very early and just thought of coming over. With incredible awe and adoration, I prayed a litany of praise and thanksgiving to God! My thanks were also directed to our Blessed Mother, St. Clare and the communion of saints in heaven...my prayer " warriors."

We managed to get some breakfast before boarding the bus. We were on time!

No comments:

Post a Comment