Tuesday, August 10, 2010

August 10, 2010 - End Times - Help Me, Lord !

The Gospel last Sunday was on the End Times - the time when at the call of our Lord our mortal bodies give way to our immortal souls to reign in the timelessness of Eternity. Has the thought of God's call coming when we least expect it ever graced our minds? Have we allowed the daily grind of keeping house, office routine, kids' school activities and sports fests, etc. fill every minute of our waking hours? Have we ever found meaning in Jesus' words, " Much will be required of the person entrusted with much and still more will be demanded of the person entrusted with more. "

Pondering over End Times, I scribbled this poem:

Help Me, Lord !

My Lord says, " Take up your cross and follow me. "
Jesus' words to believers all born free
With the free will to make choices between right and wrong
A gift given to everyone, be thou weak or strong.

Do you know what it entails to follow him
A willing heart, total trust, hope to the brim
Be equipped with these to fight the devil's fangs
Of doubt, fear, despair and cajoling tongues.

Help me, Lord, I need to change my priorities
To put You, Number I in my lifelong duties
I realize now I do not have the passion
For Jesus in my consistent daily action.

Yes, I know I give only a pittance of my time, talent and treasure
Which after all come from Him, given without pressure
Long do I stay before the TV or computer
But not even half an hour in prayer with my Maker.

I often shun invitation to say the Rosary
Too involved with fun things I like to do earnestly
Just why instant gratification govern my life
Than moments with Mary, a never-ending rite.

How blind have I been to the futility of it all
The thrill of the present consumes me, oblivious of the fall
Which like wealth, power and fame are lost
When God calls me to account for what I did most.

A long struggle to change my ways
Will require focus, energy, commitment base
Help me, Lord, to follow your bid
Renew my faith, make of me, your seed.

Then I would have done my part
What someone said about life's " sowing " time smart
To cherish the thought that life is continuity
So live every moment as a seed of eternity.

No comments:

Post a Comment