Wednesday, May 9, 2012

May 6, 2012 - "I AM THE TRUE VINE"

The Gospel today, May 6, 2012 is from John 15: 1-11 when Jesus after partaking of the Last Supper with His  apostles told them, "I am the true vine and my Father is the vine-dresser (gardener). Every branch in me that bears no fruit, he will take away and every branch that bears fruit, he will cleanse that it may bear more fruit. Abide in me and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit of itself unless it remain on the vine, so neither can you unless you abide in me. I am the vine and you are the branches. he who abides in me and I in him, he bears much fruit: for apart from me, you can do nothing. If you abide in me and if my words abide in you, ask whatever you will and it shall be done to you. In this is my Father glorified."


Jesus' exhortation on the Vine and the Branches implies a relationship with Him which is not merely that of a teacher and his student. It is a relationship which is like that of air and man and of sun and human beings. Without air, man cannot possibly live. Likewise, without the sun, life cannot be sustained.


The expression, "abide in me" has the same meaning as being "aligned" with Him in a relationship of "dependence." As the branches, separated from the tree or parent stock, could produce no fruit and would wither and die. Those who are separated from Christ may flourish for a while in their chosen profession or lifestyle but in the end yield nothing. So also are Christians or men in general, separate from Christ could do nothing. Jesus said, "Without Me, you can do nothing," nothing that is spiritually good, be it little or great, easy or difficult, think a good thought, speak a good word or do a good action. John 1:4 says, "Jesus is the source of life." and in John 6:33, "Jesus gives life to the world." So, we need to always remember that we can do nothing without the spirit, grace, strength and presence of Christ. Recall St. Paul's declaration in Philippians 4: 13, "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." By the way, I often end my Morning Prayers with this quotation. It has become a "mantra" to me!


In this discourse, Jesus told the disciples that barren branches are cut away while those that bear fruit are "pruned." Pruning refers to the cleansing, the removal of imperfections. For the branches that bear fruit, it means that the vine-dresser removes the tiny insects, dead leaves, moss and other parasites so that they can bear more fruit. Since the branches signify us who are followers of Christ, pruning means cleaning us up, purifying us and removing the imperfections that lie hidden in our hearts as hate, jealousy, unforgiving nature, anger or revenge. Yes, it is in our hearts where God's cleansing and purifying takes place so that we can be fruitful for the Father.






No comments:

Post a Comment