Wednesday, October 13, 2010

OCTOBER 13, 2010 - OUR LADY OF FATIMA


Today is the Feast of Our Lady Of Fatima, the 93rd anniversary of the Miracle of the Sun witnessed by around 75,000 people in Fatima, Portugal in 1917. This is a special day in honor of our Mother Mary in her attribute as Our Lady of the Most Holy Rosary.

I thought it a most fitting tribute to Her to write about one of my many interesting experiences in Fatima which I have been privileged to visit for nine times already. In my older posts, I have related the proverbial October 13th rain during my first visit in 1988. I have also shared my participation in leading a decade of the rosary in Tagalog during a celebration with an international theme. My visit to Fatima with my husband, Rey, (may he rest in peace) in 1999 has been chronicled in my journal, too.

"It would be most fitting to dedicate a few lines of poetry to Mother Mary today," I
mused. So armed with a notebook and pen, I sat down to do just that. But my flow of thoughts streamed down to Jesus, her Son. Once, twice, I tried to redirect my attention to my original plan but to no avail. It was a concrete evidence that Our Lady leads us to Jesus!

Guided by Our Lady of Fatima, I managed to compose these lines:

LET ME BE, OH, LORD

Let me be , Oh, Lord, your kind, caring hands
Stretched out to render aid to the needy and forlorn
To extend your soft healing touch and unbind
The tight grip of fear, pain and shameless scorn.

Let me be, Oh, Lord, your strong, steady feet
To walk with those in bondage and addiction
And with courage borne from your protective feat
Strengthen them to rise, break the chain of affliction.

Let me be, Oh, Lord, your loving, searching eyes
That see a friend's pain and sorrow beneath the mask
Which often shows mirth on the surface, but, alas
There lies a wounded heart which cries for help to rush.

Let me be, Oh, Lord, your soothing voice that counsels
The young, the indifferent, " sophisticated " wards
Who are ensnared by worldly pleasures and vices
Unmindful of Eternity's justice and rewards.

Let me be, Oh, Lord, your keen ears that listen
To the pleas of the poor for daily needs so common
Muted by disillusion, shame and false pride unspoken
Beneath stone-faced mien of utter despair and abandon.

Let me be, Oh, Lord, the face that radiates your Love
Through my deep wrinkles, blotches, disfigured state
Shield me from the fear of ridicule and hate which matches
My intense desire to be an "apostle" of my faith.

So, help me, Lord, in my commitment to leave
A Legacy of Faith to family, friends and all
Be aware of God's Presence at all times and to give
Time, Talent and Treasure in response to His call !






No comments:

Post a Comment