Saturday, July 28, 2012

July 28, 2012 - LONDON , SUMMER OLYMPICS


Today, July 27, 2012, I witnessed through the wonderful medium of television the Opening Ceremonies of the 2012 Summer Olympics in London.     It was a magnificent display of the various aspects that comprise the cultural heritage of the English people from the days of the homesteaders, to the Industrial Revolution and to the present Age of Technology. No word can describe my admiration for the planning, content and execution of the one-of-a-kind presentation which remained true to the distinct cool and reserve sophistication so characteristic of the British. It was truly unique from the usual opening ceremonies of the Olympics I have so far witnessed through all these years!

Watching the proceedings in London made me recall   incidents during my visit there where God's mercy to me was so dramatically displayed.

After a United Nations Conference in Geneva,  Switzerland in 1975, I flew to London for a visit. The Immigration Officer asked for my visa which I did not have. I was unaware of the visa requirement since I completely left travel arrangements with my secretary. It was my fault for not even bothering to check details of my itinerary! I acknowledged my negligence while a sense of uneasiness displaced my usual composure since denial of entry to London would mean a disappointment and a waste of money. My heart began my 911 prayers! The officer folded my passport and was in the act of handing it to me with a curt, "I am sorry" when suddenly, he paused for a few seconds, then briskly made a turnabout towards a room. I was taken by surprise, yet continued praying. After a long while, he came out with a grin. He said," I talked with my boss and since you have a red Official Passport, you can stay for three days." I heaved a sigh of relief along with my litany of praise and thanksgiving to God. He proved true to His promise in Psalm 91,
" In your distress, when you call on me, I will answer you!" To think that it was one day more than what I actually allotted for my London stay!

The two-day visit to London was topped by a city tour,  a visit to Hampton court, a journey to Windsor Castle and an interesting watch of the changing of the guards in Buckingham Palace while perched on the small, raised platform of the monument fronting it. I was enthralled by the grandeur of Westminster Abbey and the many epoch-making events that transpired there as the crowning of kings and queens through the centuries, the tomb of the Unknown Soldier and most of all, the site of the tribunal where St. Thomas More stood to receive his death sentence. Since the Cumberland Hotel where I was billeted was a stone's throw to Hyde Park, I took a short walk to the "Speakers' Corner" where a middle-aged man was shouting vengeance against a public official, I found out later. I learned that anyone can speak his mind and heart out in the premises, yet enjoy some form of "immunity" from arrest. 

From the park, I proceeded to a church just a few blocks away. When I entered, the priest was standing before the altar, bowing low and turning for the recessional. On top of the altar hung a big Crucifix with the figures of our Lady and the apostle John on each side. I was praying the Rosary in the almost deserted church when the priest came, smiled and said, " I think you are in the wrong church." I was taken aback and replied, " Why, Father, is this not a Catholic church?" Upon getting a negative response, I hurriedly left. It was an Anglican church but, it looked very much like our sanctuary and even had our Blessed Mother. Much later, I found out that Mary is venerated among the Anglicans and even celebrates August 15th- Assumption of Mary as a public holiday. During that short London respite, I managed to see the Immaculate Conception Church.

My flight to Paris was scheduled at 7 AM so that I took a taxi for the bus terminal while dawn was hours away. Though the driver informed me that the terminal would still be closed I insisted for fear that taxi fare to the airport would be horrendous. As I looked out, the light from the lamp posts shining through the London fog shed an aura of the mystic unknown. It was reminiscent of scenes in an Alfred Hitchcock thriller! A cold shiver ran down my spine and as I clasped my arms, I noticed my missing rings. I quickly touched my ears. I realized that I forgot my diamond jewelry on the hotel ashtray!

The driver immediately made a U-turn and headed back to the  Cumberland Hotel. A whirlwind of scenario filled my mind - the chambermaid putting my jewelry into her apron pocket, the taxi speeding away with all my luggage, my forlorn self before an airport TV monitor because I missed my flight and my whole family eating our traditional Media Noche (Christmas Midnight Dinner) with one empty chair. Totally helpless, I turned to our Lord and Blessed Mother for help! I summoned the angels and favorite saints to storm the gates of heaven for me. I nervously focused my gaze on the driver's head, praying for the Holy Spirit to pour upon him a sense of honesty so as not to cart my luggage away when I would go up to my hotel room. I also prayed for the chambermaid to have the strength to overpower temptation. I cried my heart out to God for help!

I rushed up the elevator and to my room. It was closed but unlocked just as I had left it. I dashed to the dresser and looked at the ashtray. Voila! The earrings and rings were there! I held them firmly and for some moments prayed a deep "Thank you!" But wait, only the first half of my request was granted, I ran back to the elevator. I was thanking God and our Lady and imploring for another miracle. The idea that our Lord works in complete cycles buoyed my hopes up.             Excitement took over the apprehension I earlier felt. Exhausted from the physical and emotional stress, I had to use both hands to push open the front door of the hotel.

"Thank God!" I mumbled. It was a welcome sight to see the driver's grinning face cupped by his hands on the taxi window. The Holy Spirit came through!

'Let's go direct to the airport,"I said. I entertained the thought that the airport trip was somehow a reward for not running off with my things. It was my sharing for the recovery of my jewelry. In addition, it became imperative to use the taxi so as to be on time for my flight to Paris. Of course, I gave him a generous tip for his honesty!




  

No comments:

Post a Comment