Saturday, March 31, 2012

March 27, 2012 MOUNT NEBO, JORDAN

Today, March 27, 2012, the First Reading is on the constant complaints of the Israelites against Moses for the hunger, thirst and discomfort they were experiencing in the wilderness. The Lord saw that despite the miracles the people had witnessed as their crossing the Red Sea and the food that was being provided daily for them, their hearts were still cold. They were even complaining of the "manna!" As punishment, God sent serpents in their midst and the Israelites suffered so much pain from the poisonous bites. In fact, many perished during their journey.

Moses appealed to God on behalf of the people. God in His mercy, instructed Moses to make a bronze serpent and said that whoever would look at it would be healed. Moses made the bronze serpent and hang it with its body elongated on top of his staff making the structure look like a cross. As God promised, anyone who looked at it was healed.

This Reading reminded me of of my visit in 2005 to Mount Nebo in Jordan where God allowed Moses to see the Promised Land. Recall that because of the disobedience of Moses in striking the rock from which water came forth to quench the thirst of the Israelites, God told him that he would not set foot on the Promised Land. Nonetheless, before Moses died, God rewarded him with a view of the "land of milk and honey" from Mount Nebo. According to Jewish and Christian tradition, Moses died there. However, to this day, no one knows where his grave is.

Because of its connection to Moses, Mount Nebo has long been a pilgrimage site. The church built in 394 A.D. which is presently called, "Memorial Church of Moses," has many original mosaics of plants, flowers, birds, fowl and animals. The exotic colors are still vividly clear! In the Baptistry is a large mosaic with a Greek inscription of the date- August 531- with the names of the three workers who created it. The Theotokos Chapel in honor of our Blessed Mother added in the 17th Century has in its apse a mosaic of a square-like object which looks very much like a "ciborium," (vessel for the Eucharist). The altar is decorated only with a simple, medium-sized Cross. On the wall on its left is a picture of Pope John Paul II kneeling in adoration commemorating his visit there on March 20, 2000. He planted an olive tree near the Byzantine chapel as a symbol of "Peace."

Pope Benedict XVI visited Mount Nebo on May 9, 2009 before going to the Holy Land. Standing where Moses was shown the Promised Land, He said, "It is appropriate that my pilgrimage to the Holy Land begin on this mountain which should remind all people to undertake a daily exodus from sin and "slavery" to new life and hope. God has given us an unshakable promise to guide our journey." He added, "Christians are called to doing our small part, in fidelity, to the vocation each of us has received."

In the church grounds, stands a serpentine cross sculpture symbolic of the bronze serpent structure created by Moses in the wilderness (Numbers 21:49) and the Cross upon which Jesus was crucified (John 3:14). I gazed at it for long and remembered Jesus on the Cross with arms outstretched ready to give healing, love, forgiveness and hope to those who seek Him. Then I went near the railing on the side of the mountain where a large map shows the various locations throughout the region and its distances from Mount Nebo. I surveyed the whole panorama before me absorbed with wonder, fervor and gratitude. I looked up at the clear azure sky as a litany of praise and thanksgiving burst forth from my heart! As tears ran down my cheeks, I struggled to answer the question in my mind, "Who are you to deserve these gifts - standing here on Mount Nebo having a view of the Promised Land like Moses, but unlike Moses having set foot on the "holy ground" of the Promised Land? I remembered my four visits to the Holy Land already. I covered my face with my hands to shield it from my imagined flaming tips of accusing fingers thrust at me, a sinner! I knew I was unworthy of the gifts, undeserving of the unspeakable joy and peace I felt in the revered places I have been privileged to visit. I was humbled! I bowed my head in "shame" not daring nor attempting to give an answer to a query which will remain unsearchable and unfathomable for all time!

No comments:

Post a Comment