Thursday, November 24, 2011

November 24, 2011 - THANKSGIVING DAY

Today is Thanksgiving Day ! Isn't it wonderful that the first President of the United States, George Washington in 1872 officially established the last Thursday of November as a special day to give thanks to our God for all His bountiful blessings and favor on us.

There are many things I am grateful for to Almighty God. I give thanks for my overall health which at this age keeps me still up and about with considerable ease even able to withstand the rigors of travel abroad. I give thanks for my family who is the source of immeasurable joy and fulfilment from the eldest member to the youngest grandchild, Melanie. Their solicitous concern and support is exceptional in depth and substance which pales by comparison some that my peers receive from their very own "flesh and blood," I give thanks for my set of relatives who are always there for me in all circumstances and at all climes, giving full meaning to the saying, " Blood is thicker than water." I give thanks for the circle of friends whose friendship I have treasured through all these years. The Charismatic Renewal and the Simbang Gabi Prayer Group have filled my life with "soul mates" who have been a "blessing" for me in so many innumerable ways. Like the psalmist of the Word, I sing and chant praise and thanksgiving for the gift of LIFE!


Today, I recall two incidents in the past which would have cost the loss of my life.

The first incident occured when I was only fourteen (14) and a high school student. On most weekends, I used to visit my elder married sister, Lourding, who had a baby named Cora. I loved to play with Cora and in so doing take care of her while my sister did other chores. The visits also afforded me the chance to read her books on Nursing since she was a nurse. I don't remember why I took a fancy of those reading materials.

One Saturday morning, we went to the Luneta, a popular park in Manila which fronts the Manila Bay. Some people traversed the huge rocks that bordered the shores so as to swim in the crystal clear water then. Not knowing how to swim, I just calmly sat on a rock with my legs dangling in the water reaching up to my knees. I savored the beautiful scenery of rippling waves, one row after another rushing towards the shore .The shimmering glow of sunlight on the frothy waves was a beauty all its own. The many pockets of white clouds against the wide expanse of blue sky competed in getting my attention and appreciation. Lulled by the serenity and majesty of my surroundings, I failed to notice that the waves were getting stronger and larger. Suddenly a huge gust of waves and wind swept me off the rock and hurled me way out into the bay. I struggled to shout for help in-between mouthfuls of water as my arms frantically tried to keep my body afloat. It took some time. The few instances that I could pop up my head above the water, I said, "Jesus," again and again. I knew it was my end! I grew weak and limp and let go. The next thing I knew I was lying flat on my stomach on the cement parapet of the Luneta and Ciding, my sister's maid, massaging my diaphram and waist as spurts of water came out of my mouth. JESUS sent Ciding to rescue me! I was profuse in my thanksgiving to our Lord! Since then, I realized the power of the NAME of JESUS. To say His name alone is a PRAYER!

The second incident happened at Nazareth, Israel in 1995 when our pilgrimage group was booked at the St. Gabriel Hotel, a former monastery, located on the summit of a hill. Without telling any of my friends, I decided to enjoy the magnificent scenery after dinner. I sat on a tree stump on the edge of a cliff overlooking the whole town that starry night. I had a commanding view of the Dome of the Basilica of the AnnunciationI illuminated by a bright full moon and the tiny lights of the houses below. After a long interlude of assimilating the peace and beauty of the panorama, I decided to go back to the hotel but in so doing made a wrong footing so that I hang on the cliff with only my hands holding on to the tree stump for suppport. I called on "JESUS" again and again. Then a sudden gust of strong wind lifted and pushed me forward to safer ground. I was saved ! I have written of this experience in some detail in my Journal with the title, " Cliff Hangar in Nazareth."

Psalm 91 is my favorite psalm..." God says , " I will save those who love me and will protect those who acknowledge me as Lord; when they call to me, I will answer them, when they are in trouble, I will be with them. I will rescue them and honor them."

The NAME of JESUS haspower. It is a prayer!. When you look up and call JESUS, He will look down and give you His Mercy, His Peace, His Love!

No comments:

Post a Comment