Sunday, May 1, 2011

May 1, 2011 - POPE JOHN PAUL ll

Today marks the Beatification of the late Pope John Paul II at St. Peter's Basilica in Rome. It has been reported that more than 800,000 people gathered at the square infront of the largest Christian church in the world to witness the ceremony. He was the first non-Italian Pontiff to occupy the Chair of Peter since 400 hundred years ago. He was Polish. His Papacy lasted for more than twenty years, one of the longest in the history of the Catholic world. To say that this holy, brilliant, "charming" man was intrinsically admired and benevolently loved by millions, Catholic and non-Catholics alike would be an understatement. The memory of Pope John Paul II will be unforgettable to me because of two personal experience in my life : my shaking hands with him and my visit to his birthplace, Wadowice, Poland.

My friends, Gloria Reyes (may she rest in peace) and Vangie Chaves and I joined a pilgrimage to Rome in 1998. The glory that was Rome during the era of the mighty Roman Empire still permeates the Eternal City so that the prospect of visiting it again and again with family or with bosom buddies has been a magnetic force I eagerly welcome. Todate, I have thrown a coin over my left shoulder at the Fountain of Trevi for eight times. There must be some truth to the saying that the coin-throwing rite at the fabled man-made waterfall assures one of a return trip!

My journal entitled, "Handshake in Rome" tells of this experience in great detail but suffice it to say that I was afforded the privilege of "holding hands" with the late Pope John Paul II as a result of my assistance to two members of our tour group. I helped them navigate through the cobbled streets of the city to the Papal Secretariat which handles the Pope's multifarious activites. I learned that it usually takes five to six months to finalize everything regarding an audience with him. In the journal, I related how I got the privilege of participating in the extraordinary affair even managing the inclusion of Glory and Vangie.

No comments:

Post a Comment