Wednesday, June 23, 2010

June 23, 2010 The Remarkable St. Anthony


Rejoice! Rejoice! Today I rejoice because of one of my favorite saints, St. Anthony of Padua (as he is popularly known). Two "long" weeks of anxiety over the loss of a basic "ingredient" for traveling finally turned into joy and thanksgiving. Thank you, Lord! Thank you, St. Anthony!

As I have previously mentioned in one of my blogs, my grandsons, Michael and Christian and I, along with my son, Bobby and Carla are scheduled to go to Paris, Lourdes, Nevers or Lisiuex in France. Michael graduated from Grade VIII and so gets the trip as a graduation gift. Christian gets the reward for his outstanding achievement in piano. Similarly, Tiffany Anne, went with Joshua and Christina(graduates) last year because of her accomplishment in gymnastics.

In all my trips abroad, I make it a point to exchange currency right here in the United States because of convenience. Oftentimes, the itinerary becomes so hectic, whether in a customized tour or on one's own, so that looking for a bank and making transactions consume time which otherwise could be put to better use. In addition, sometimes arrival day in a country can fall on a Sunday when all banks are closed. In fact, I had experienced a situation with a tour pilgrimage when we arrived on a Sunday in a country I have now forgotten. It happened that the next day was an official holiday and we were to go to a place 4 or so hours away. Many pilgrims got hungry and thirsty during our bus ride but could not use dollars in the villages we passed by. The natives would not accept the green bucks. It was a good thing that I had the currency available and as the Lord willed it, their needs were met. Days later, some people offered to pay me but I declined the offer because I was convinced that it was God's purpose for me to do just what I did. God's generosity to me since that little act of kindness has been many times over - a hundredfold!

Now, back to my rejoicing today. I managed to get Euros last month. I put them in an extra wallet which I usually take in my trips just so not all of my money are in one place. But I have been looking for it for more than two weeks! I have prayed long and hard! Somehow I felt St. Anthony was turning a deaf ear. I was beginning to have a panic attack because we are scheduled to leave for Paris in "three days." Then I found it! I rejoice!
St. Anthony did it again!

May I introduce St. Anthony to you?

St. Anthony was born as Fernando Martins de Bulhoes in Lisbon, Portugal on June 13, 1231 to a wealthy family. He was a brilliant student and studied the Scriptures and Latin classics. Against the wishes of his family, he entered the Augustinian Order. But his contact with five Franciscans who went to Morocco as missionaries and who later were murdered attracted him to the Franciscan community. He obtained leave from the Augustinians and went to Assisi. With some difficulty, he was admitted by the Franciscans and was assigned to the kitchen in a hospice in Forli,Italy.

One day, on the occasion of an ordination, there was a misunderstanding over who would preach. St. Anthony was unexpectedly called to fill the void. The entire theme and substance of his discourse and his moving eloquence created a deep impression. From then on, his skills were put to good use by the Church. It was as a preacher that St. Anthony revealed his supreme gift. He served as envoy from Pope Gregory IX. At papal court, his preaching was hailed as a "jewel case of the Bible."

St. Anthony died on June 13, 1231 in Padua, Italy at age 36. When he died, it is said that all bells of the churches in Italy rang of their own accord - rung by angels to honor the death of a saint. He is buried in Padua and his tongue is "incorrupt" and in a reliquary. The tongue "glistens" as if it is still alive and moist.


St. Anthony of Lisbon and Padua is known to have become the "quickest" saint to be canonized by Pope Gregory IX less than one (1) year after his death on May 30, 1232. He was proclaimed Doctor of the Church on January 16, 1946. He is often invoked for " lost " things by many devotees around the globe. But in Portugal and Brazil, legend has him also as one who " conciliated couples whose marriage were going to the rocks."

The St. Anthony Church in Lisbon stands over the house where our saint was born. We had to go down to the basement to see the small room where he first saw the light of day. As one enters the church, on the left wall is a huge painting of St. Anthony who natives claim is miraculous. So, I stayed for some time praying for his help to have miracles in my life and family. Through the years, he has proved to be one of my great intercessors. He has never failed me as in this particular day of my rejoicing!

























No comments:

Post a Comment