Thursday, March 18, 2010

Birthday Anniversary Thoughts

Birthday anniversaries are opportune times to reflect on one's life - what has been and what is yet to come. Some people say that it is not good to indulge in the past. But I feel that it is an important phase in one's life to consider if one is to channel energies toward a brighter future. This is especially necessary for the young who are endowed with a wide field of action and more time to achieve goals. I still hold on to the idea that even those who are in their "twilight years" benefit from such reflections every time a birthday page is torn off the calendar.

So, on the eve of my 79th birthday anniversary, I decided to scribble some reflections on my life.....


In Retrospect

A long journey starts with the first step, so they say
Beneath those words lie an unmistakable tone
That the initial step is the hardest one to take
It needs courage to leave the comfort zone.

On the eve of my seventy-ninth year of birth
My thoughts flashed back to my San Francisco hearth
When on the seventh month, 22nd day in 1979
I came to settle down in my second homeland fine.

Full of excitement and high hopes of a future bright
The tomorrow would bring to my children's sight
My life hurdled heartaches which caused so much pain
Yet bubbled with glee at the thousand joys regained.

The years have taught me precious lessons to impart
To my children and my children's children smart
First and foremost is to stay close to Jesus and Mary
To keep your faith ever vibrant, persevering and holy.

Knowing Jesus is imperative to keep your faith strong
His Word you should read, meditate on and believe
Then your being a Christian unfolds in the way you live
That every aspect of life the Bible guides all along.

Another gem I learned from an ancient mind
Is that the secret of the universe is within you
Because what you give to the world comes back in kind
Seek love, give love and you will reap affection, too.

One's "word of honor" is something to be treasured
Which makes up your identity as "the" person
Be careful of what you promise to do or not to measure
Because your word is a covenant you have to honor with pleasure.

My mother personified love and generosity
It was her second name friends teased incessantly
I learned much wisdom from the example she wrought
Than from the lessons her lovely lips taught.

Nightly devotion to the Family Rosary
Was as constant as the Angelus prayer key
"Padre Nuestro" and "Dios te Salve" I learned first
Before the Our Father, Hail Mary in English verse.

She reminded us all since we were very small
To practice the Golden Rule with every living soul
To live a life of granite-like integrity
So as to look at anyone in the eye with sincerity.

Her advice about marriage is something you should know
The fifty-fifty proposition is much too low
Marital bliss requires you give 70 percent no less
To enjoy happy golden years of togetherness.

So I have tried to follow my mother's footsteps firm
To be a pulsating example of what I preach
I do hope that by this time my loved ones affirm
The values I hold sacred, hope you'll follow and teach.

I have no regrets for all I have done
Have accomplished much, much more than I have planned
My good Lord has decreed that I relish the thought
That what I have achieved, with His help, are the things I've sought.

Now, on bended knee I pray
"Thank you, Lord, for your guidance every day
Thank you for being in control of my life
Without which I would have succumbed to the strife."







No comments:

Post a Comment