Friday, November 27, 2009

September 3,2009 Visit to the Vatican

The nun took us from the Vaticano Bustop to the Piazza of St. Peter's which was quite a walk. However, we were amply rewarded by the beautiful panorama of Christendom's largest and most important church in the world. The huge dome brilliantly shining against the noonday sun stood triumphant atop the enormous basilica with its "embracing arms " of Bernini columns. It made a dramatic backdrop to the huge fountain at the center of the wide plaza.

Amidst the exchange of pleasantries among us and with the nun whose name has escaped my memory, we walked across the cobbled stones of centuried past. And my happy past connected with the cobble-stoned piazza flashed back to my memory-the memorable handshake with the late Pope John Paul II in October 1999. Once again I felt the warmth of indescribable peace and passion flow within my being! My joy knew no bounds though a streak of pride creeped its ugly head ashore. I felt like the "chosen one" among the thousands of pilgrims, tourists and visitors standing in either of the two security lines in the distance.

No comments:

Post a Comment